Thursday, July 10, 2014

TBT--That Parenting Manual needs updating

Welcome to my version of Throw-Back Thursday, blog style. I'm taking Thursdays to revisit some older posts.  I hope you enjoy the trip back in time.



Originally posted 23-AUG-2013

You know how before you give birth some one gave you a What to Expect book? You also probably did a birth class. None of which prepares you for life with an actual child.



Last night Boo woke up at midnight and proceeded to throw up every 15 minutes for the next couple of hours. Then she only woke every 45 minutes to throw up. Eight hours and four loads of laundry husband comes home from his shift.  As I lay Boo on the couch to go to work, she throws up one more time....all over me.

Second shower and a change of clothes and off I go to my paying job. You know when you get into the office you ask the question, how are you to your coworkers. Not that you actually care after being up all night, but just to be polite.

And then that one coworker, the one without children. The one who is unmarried and lives with the dog that is her life. You know the one that I mean. The one that has time to exercise, take long walks, drink her wine without interruption. The one who has the life you used to have before children. Let alone a sick child. She proceeds to tell you that she is 'exhausted' but 'surviving'.

And all you want to say is survive this (with the one finger salute) and walk into your office. Instead you empathize and escape to your office as soon as it is polite. You walk into a call from your husband saying Boo has now spiked a temp. What should he do? To another call saying the contract is ready to be picked up and that a hundred emails that tell you other things need to be done before you can escape to take care of the most important part of your life.

But you need the paycheck. So you put your big girl panties on and go to work.

And think to yourself, I'd really like to meet the author of that book, because they have no freaking idea of what to expect.

3 comments:

  1. So been there and done that and you are right I wish I could tell that author a few choice words in those moments, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this is awesome. I'm very impressed you didn't give said co-worker an uppercut never mind an upper finger! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUP!! I love love love it, and live live live it. xo
    also pretty sure I read it first time around which OMG how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!