Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Sometimes Mom is wrong

About a year ago I decided to take up running. Not to be running from a serial killer but in an attempt to gain some better looking legs and mental clarity. While I have not gained either, I had really begun to enjoy running. 


Thanks to Boo's therapists, I discovered the Obstacle 5Ks. My mother thought I was nuts. Didn't I remember that I trip on flat pavement? I do fall, often. However the team work and camaraderie at the races are beyond anything you can image.  They became addicting. I have since done four obstacle races and have two more this fall.

I even got David, my nephew and his girlfriend addicted. Over the weekend we ran the Renegade Playground. After four months on the waiting list, this was the first race I was running for my buddy




There was mud. A lot of mud. For a girl who really doesn't like to get dirty can I say it was the more fun than you can imagine? 



Plus there were balance beams. 




I survived the entire race without a boo-boo. Not one scratch, bruise or concussion. Our team finished in 53 minutes, leaving no one behind. I even managed to survive the four foot walls.





 It wasn't until Sunday that I was in pain. Not from doing the run. From doing dishes. I managed to slice my thumb open.  I ended up in the ER getting six stitches. And there was absolutely no wine involved.



This is what happens when you recycle. Here I was being a good person, cleaning out the soup can before it went to the recycling. I end up getting stitches. In the ER for three hours with a $90 copay. That equals out to $15 a stitch.    

Sorry mom, but you were wrong. I was perfectly fine and undamaged doing the obstacle races. My next race is Sept 6th. I'm not doing any household chores the week before I want to be healthy for the race.

3 comments:

  1. I totally just sliced my ring finger open on Saturday with my regular kitchen scissors cutting off a tag from the new toy we bought for the dog. Thankfully no stitches here, but still thought how incredibly crazy it was that after all these years of using scissors, I actually cut myself and this was a first for me. Hope your finger is better, but huge congrats on the race. You did awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I am also the queen of household injuries. Hope your finger heals quick and I agree with Janine, huge congrats on the race. It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The race looks like so much fun!

    Your finger injury looks painful. Hope you will recover from it quickly! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you think!